Thursday, March 22, 2012

Copyright & Multimedia 03-22-2012


MEDT7477_Copyright&Multimedia_PTM
Fair use and copyright are two words, when used together that have always given me a sense of dread. I have had this feeling that someone was going to knock on my door and haul me off for some offense that I unknowingly committed. I have always tried to do what was sensible and proper when it comes to using copyrighted material. Many times I have felt that fair use and copyright was like trying to catch smoke in my hands. So many times I have read articles about fair use but there were so many words in the article that were left to interpretation that after reading the articles I did not feel that I knew any more after reading as I did before. On the Troup County school system website, the media handbook is available. One of the sections of the handbook deals with copyright and one part as to do with fair use. The link to this is http://www.troup.org/media_handbook/copyright.php . There are many other sections that cover just about any issue that should come up in a school setting. It seems that this handbook is the result of a lot of work on the part of a good many people and I have a hard copy on my bookcase just in case I need it in a hurry.  There is an opening statement that I think lets everyone know the true purpose of the handbook.It reads"Media is an essential support service for instructional programs. Media specialists should work closely with administrators and teachers in curriculum planning and implementation of instructional units. Media specialists should also assume a leadership role in today's technology-oriented library information center without sacrificing the importance of books and reading for knowledge and pleasure.
The purpose of this handbook is to inform school personnel of goals, policies and procedures that ensure effective library media centers in the Troup County School System. The efficient day-to-day operation of the media center is of utmost importance in complying with Troup County School System board policies, Georgia State Board of Education rules, and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools standards."


The one word that is used in the Troup County handbook and other articles that I have found is REASONABLE. I know that this is not a “set in concrete” word but it has helped me to deal with this issue with a little more confidence. The myth of “Rules of Thumb” is one that I thought was really a fact. Some parts of this are even included in the Troup County handbook related to the numbers.  Reading the truth part of the article, I see the word that I guess that I will always look for when it comes to fair use and copyright and that word is reasonable (reason, reasoning). I know that word is still open for interpretation but let us face this. We are educated, dedicated, and have the best interest of our students in mind. It really should not be a problem to figure out what is reasonable and be prepared to justify our thinking.
The article that was used for this is very interesting and useful. I think that it might be even copied and given to teachers and administrators, especially first year teachers.

References:


1 comment:

  1. I agree that the issues involving Copyright and Fair Use can be complex and confusing at times. As Media Speciailist it is our job to inform the teachers of the laws regarding these two issues and to make sure that they are following them. Of course, we have to understand them ourelves before we can do that job.
    Thanks for the article. It has lots of good information in it.

    ReplyDelete