The hype behind social networking is that it allows clusters of small or large groups to gather in a median to share daily or life experiences, special events, recipes, photos and political views all on the same platform. It’s a place to reconnect with old family and friends, as well as place to meet new ones that could be in your life forever. In today’s time, websites have been used as the common median for groups to gather and share. What’s great about social networking, especially online, is that it allows you to connect with people all around the world. You can experience different cultures and express your views all from the Internet. Often within a social networking group, you are in that group because it’s of interest to you and you have received an invitation to join. What’s also great about online social networking is that you can create groups within groups to share within, hence making the group even larger (What is Social Networking?, 2012).
However with all good, there is some bad with social networking that can be deemed bad and even deadly. The first is theft of your identity and information, since we have come to trust the Internet as a way of conversing and doing business. Another is the possibility of downloading a virus sent from someone in the group. And third is the arena that is created for online predators to prey on potential victims, as they are not required to reveal their true identity (What is Social Networking?, 2012
The question becomes, can social networking sites be a positive enhancement to a Media Center? My thoughts are yes, if it is relevant and relatable to the school. Students can get within their online group to discuss upcoming tests, readings, competitions or it can be a place where they blog on a topic given, as we are charged with doing for this class. Online social networking has become the new way to share your thoughts and ideas with a mass of people without verbally communicating. When we think of social networking today, the first sites that come to mind are Facebook and Twitter, yet there are so many other social networking groups that are informative and educational.
Overall, I believe it is both ESSENTIAL and NECESSARY for Media Specialist to create an environment that allows opportunities for growth beyond a text book. Sharing of ideas through online social networking allows for students to express themselves, as well as a platform for them to shine, in terms of the knowledge they share with their teachers and peers. The Media Center has been limited far too long and needs to show society as a whole, that they are moving with the technology times and are open to students learning beyond a textbook.
What is Social Networking. Com. (2012). What is Social Networking? Retrieved February 24, 2012 from http://www.whatissocialnetworking.com/
Tricia McCoy - Original Post
I teach 6th grade literature and I have often thought of setting up a Facebook page or some other form of blogging for my classes to have open discussions about the novels we are reading or a topic from earlier in class. I am curios if many students would join - I know not all of my students have a Facebook so I would have to find another site that parents would be fine with their child viewing and responding, but I do see it catching a trend. Sometimes students feel more confident if they can “hide” behind a computer and express their thoughts rather than openly saying them in class. I see networking in schools a really great tool (if done correctly). I am so excited to see more schools catching on and using them on campus.
ReplyDeleteI really want to agree with you on the "yes" in your answer to can social networking sites be a positive enhancement to a media center. But I have a difficult time giving it a full "yes". I know that it is a good way for students to work together and collaborate on assignments. With the internet filtering in my school and the rules that deal with handheld devices, the students in my school cannot access any of the social networks ehile at school except during lunch. During this school year, I have been asked to witness three intstances of bullying on one of the social websites. I was not given names or many details but I was able to see the post and what I saw made me nervous. And I do not know what to do about these problems. I guess that put me in a catagory with millions of other parents and teachers. I really wish that there were solutions to the problems besause I feel that use of the social networking website will continue to grow and out students will need it more as time goes by.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that social networking should be a "yes." You pointed out both pros and cons to social networking, and these points would have to be addressed to make social networking work for education. Students do need an environment in which they feel safe and can go beyond classroom and textbook. I feel that social networking gives students this opportunity. With set expectations, rules, and direction, social networking could be a great tool for reaching students and meeting their needs in this digital world in which we live. Wrong behaviors such as bullying would have to be dealt with seriously and with great consequences.
ReplyDeleteI agree that social networking should be a "yes" in schools today. Although there are risk involved in any internet usage in school, I don't think web 2.0 is going away anytime soon. If we want to remain relevant in todays fast paced world of technology we must find a way to include social networking in our teaching and running of our media centers. The Library 2.0 book has a great little section starting on page 81, "An Opportunity for Libraries" that gives some good ideas of how we can get started. Most of the high school students in my system either use Facebook or Twitter. Both of these can be used as relatively safe ways to post updates and announcements of what is going on in our media centers.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is both essential and necessary for Media specialists to create an environment for growth. It is our responsibility to introduce new things to students. I agree that this type of platform allows students to express themselves in ways that they may not in class. For some students that are shy, they may never raise their hand and comment on something anthor student has said or even answer a question in class. This medium gives the opportunity to share their thought in a "Safe zone".
ReplyDeleteI agree that their are different issues that need to be addressed such as on-line safety. We want our students participating in these types of setting, but we want to make sure they are not sharing personal information that can be viewed by anyone. I know that as an elementary media specialist I address internet safety with all of my students. They know what informations OK to share and what information is private and should not be shared.
Tricia,
ReplyDeleteI don’t believe we have a choice but to open up our media centers to social media. I our online course is proof that collaboration and or discussion can be effectively communicated over an internet connection. I have found that I have learned a lot and have been able to stay plugged to those that I would like to stay in touch with via social networking. I am not sure how we can best combat predators other than to use internet filters. I’m curious to see more suggestion on how to combat predators on social sites.